the trustees of reservations
Chestnut Hill Farm
CSA Blog
A Trustees Property


CSA Info | CSA FAQs | Buy a Share | CSA Member Info & Hours | Apprentice | Who's Who | Contact Us | CSA History | Dairy Store | Visit Appleton Farms


Monday, August 22, 2016

Week 11: Salsa time

Swiss Chard- Weeded!!!


Farm news:

So. We started really rolling in the tomatoes last week. Well this week, there are even more: more varieties, textures, tastes and the cherry tomatoes have started up as well. YAY! This is the time of year where I just get so excited every time I go out into the field and see the abundance of gorgeous sweet globes hanging from the vines.
Lack of water is still making it nearly impossible to predict our yields accurately (we are actually only getting about 60% of what was predicted for a normal harvest year with adequate rainfall and some intermittent use of irrigation- not a drought year), so we are going to get a little creative with our produce. Depending on your pickup day, we might switch around what you are getting this week. For example: Tuesday might get peppers this week, but Thursday and Friday shares might get eggplant. We will then switch it up next week and Th/Fri will get peppers and Tuesday will get eggplant. We will let you know where those choices might be down below. Know that we will be as fair as we can, but it really is drought that is affecting our shares this year in more ways than just lack of water- rodents in search of water are eating more produce than usual from plants and fruits smaller than usual. I've NEVER seen rodents eat eggplant, EVER,and they are going to town. Snap traps are useless in the field and I wouldn't want to inadvertently hurt predators in any case.
We have some new items for you this week. Check them out, don't be shy, ask us how to cook them. We are here to help.
Anna Banana's Homemade Goodness is here on Tuesday this week only!!!!!! Come by for her incredible marshmallows (had the coffee ones last week- OMG! I can't even describe how yumtastic they are). And if you are really lucky she will have her dark chocolate dipped orange peel- she candies this herself folks! I can't even describe how awesome that is. You can't go wrong. Everything I've ever tasted is worth the price and then some. It's like having our own chocolaterie right here in Southborough. It just doesn't get better. And um, try those Kitchen Sink Truffle thingys. Wow. I can't stop eating them. I'm begging myself to stop and I just can't. It's that good.
Also, if you missed our Full Moon Potluck- you missed the most delicious Lemon Meringue Pie in a jar and fried chicken and caprese salad and so much more. We are going to be having monthly potlucks on or near the full moon all during CSA, so come on out! They are super casual, no need to be fancy, but just come ready to have good food and conversation. I swear, I'm not a huge potluck fan, but we've had some of the best food I've ever eaten at some of these. Come join us next month (though it won't be on the full moon, that's the Farm to Table Dinner, so we will schedule some time earlier!).


What's in Your Share (maybe):

Edamame
Greens: Swiss Chard or Kale
Beets
Potatoes
Squash, spagetti
Squash, summer (looking slim)
Melons- musk or water
Eggplant or Peppers (lack of water is making it unpredictable to determine exactly how many good fruit we will get so you might get one or the other this week, don't worry we will make it fair by switching it up next week if we have to- see above)

Pick Your Own:
Beans, beans, beans and the second planting is about to come in.
Okra for Thursday/Friday since they didn't get any two weeks ago.I really really promise to plant a whole lot more next year! For those of you who didn't know- I planted it as an experiment to see if folks would be interested and the answer is a resounding YES! So, I will grow more next season.
Flowers
Herbs- parsley, dill (sort of)
Cherry tomatoes- Honey drop, Sungold, Sweet 100, Black and Pink Princess
We are planting more cilantro for the fall!
Green Jalapenos.....PLEASE LEAVE the other chiles to ripen!!!!! They aren't meant to be eaten in the green phase and will be not so hot and bitter.


Eden Glen Farm Salsa

My favorite. From a former CSA shareholder in Dalton, Ed Bond. He changed how I viewed salsa forever. This is fresh, crisp and delicious beyond all comprehension. The first time he brought me a quart container of it, I pretty much ate the whole thing standing in the fridge door. And I was a non-eater of raw onions and garlic and I still couldn't help myself. I often make big double batches and do a boiling water bath canning of it for consumption in January (I leave out the beans and corn, but sometimes add in peaches or mango). It is incredible in the middle of winter to open a jar of summer.

Peppers 1/2 red sweet; 1/2 purple sweet; 1 green sweet; 2 jalapenos; 1 hungarian hotwax
Tomatoes 5 large (more varieties the better)
Garlic- 2 large cloves
Herbs- 2-4 TBsps fresh chopped each of cilantro, basil
Corn-1 ear, off cob
Onion- 1 large, any kind (I like a combo of red and sweet yellow)

Dice all vegetables and mix. Add 4 Tbsps cider vinegar and olive oil. Add 1/2-1 can of black beans.
Optional: 2-4 Tbsps of tomato paste to sweeten and thicken if you like and ground cayenne to heat things up.
Sturgeon Moon rises next to the silo.




No comments:

Post a Comment