the trustees of reservations
Chestnut Hill Farm
CSA Blog
A Trustees Property


CSA Info | CSA FAQs | Buy a Share | CSA Member Info & Hours | Apprentice | Who's Who | Contact Us | CSA History | Dairy Store | Visit Appleton Farms


Friday, September 18, 2015

it's September but it feels like August= Blech.

The title pretty much sums it up. A hot spring, followed by a hot summer and it isn't over yet. This makes for a tired and somewhat grumpy farmer. There is still so much left to do- 5 weeks of CSA, pumpkin harvest, planning and implementing a Harvest Festival, planting 100 lbs of garlic, and plowing another 5+ acres of sod to make into next season's vegetables. And it is hot. Again. Really hot. Not just a hmm, it's warm out, but  the 'humid and muggy and downright, i wish i had air conditioning right now' sort of hot. I know I will be complaining of the cold in a few short months and part of me wishes that I could just soak the heat in my bones like a lizard, but...that's exactly what I've been doing since May. Now my bones are so peaked out that I just want to be cool and wear layers and wool socks and feel invigorated when I walk outside instead of breaking into an instant sweat that quickly turns into mud on my skin as I work.
The rain we finally got seemed to wash the world clean of dust and grime for a little while, but then it went right back up to disgustingly hot. The veggies are tired of it too- all those beautiful fall greens, broccoli, cabbage, kales and lettuce that just get sweeter with every cool night- are languishing from too much sun and lack of rain.
BUT, here, on the eve of my birthday this tired, grumpy farmer is trying to take a step back and appreciate what the season has given- an abundance of tomatoes and peppers so sweet and barely cracked, perfect melons and good soil working weather. So I really shouldn't complain too much. I am feeling thankful for all the good people that I've met in my short time in this new place. My CSA shareholders- all willing to take a last minute chance that I might pull this off- and my long time mentor for reining in my desires to always take everything up a notch. My apprentices also deserve heartfelt thanks for walking into chaos with me and making order out of nature. It isn't easy and everything sort of hangs out there in a 'wait and see sort of deal' as I figure what the land and the season can give/take. New found friendships, so unexpected and precious. My partner, so supportive of what I do that he will uproot himself and our family to make a dream keep happening and for knowing when to back off (especially with comments about too many weeds). I appreciate myself too, for not being 20 anymore, no matter how much I wish my joints still were, because I know so much more about everything than I did then.
Now, I am ready for fall and all things pumpkin. I want to turn on the oven and roast veggies for dinner without feeling like it will the heat the house up to nightmare temps before bed. I want bright orange leaves on the sugar maples outside my house (my favorite color) and to harvest chestnuts and apples for the winter.
Soon. soon. soon.

In the Shares this week:
Asian Cabbage
Green Cabbage
Tomatoes
Peppers
Eggplant
Melons
Onions- mixed
Lettuce
Kohlrabi
Carrots
Potatoes
Kale
The Pick-Your- Own flowers are going strong but the cherry tomatoes are winding down and only herbs are really left out there.
Save the Date for our Fall Festival happening on October 11th!!!!! from 10a-4p there will be games and activities for kids of all ages, food demos, vendors and so much more. Live music all day plus a pie-baking contest (for info or to register for that email Nicole )
You can also help out and volunteer for this event-let us know if you are interested!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment